Thursday, December 16, 2010

Cats

There is a saying that goes,"Sometimes you get the cat and sometimes the cat gets you."  Yesterday, the cat not only got me, it chewed me up and spit me out as a partially digested hairball.  Yesterday's debacle began in first block.  I had changed the seating in the room to rows.  I did not make a seating chart which was not good.  When I directed certain students to particular seats, they questioned my thinking with that particular move.  In short, they wanted to know why they had to sit where I put them.  Then within minutes I shushed a student who was talking and he wanted to know why, he wasn't doing anything.  Adding those events to general talking and foolishness to a teacher with some private struggles and you have  a recipe for explosion.  I left the room and stormed into our principal's office and told her that I was quitting.  I refused to teach anymore.  Bless her, she walked to my room and gave the students a good dressing down.  They were quiet the remainder of the class and in fact the remainder of the day went better.  I asked my principal what I was doing wrong.  She said nothing, that it is the change in attitude of the students.  I am not good at meaness on a daily basis.  I do get frustrated and lose my temper, but not frequently.  I have tried to follow the philosophy of catching more flyies with sugar than with vinegar.  Apparently I need to take a daily dose of vinegar.  What happens to students that they only respond to bluntness.  What kind of adults will these children become?  Can I become a "pickle smoker" and not be affected personally?  All good questions to ponder.  Our grade level will be making some changes after Christmas and I am viewing these as a time to start over.  One change I will make is to be much more stern and serious about behavior and class work.  I thought I had established reasonable proceedures, but apparently I need to revamp.  Well, so be it.

On a different note, we have a snow day today.  Usually a snow day is a time for celebration, but this year or at least snow days in December are not welcomed.  We have had one snow day and now with today our Christmas vacation will not begin until 3:30 on Dec. 21.  Major bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think the snow angels must have known that I needed a day off.  Thank you, snow angels.

Well, friends, so as not to waste a gift of a day off, I will take my steaming cup of coffee to the kitchen and throw something in the crockpot for dinner.  And maybe, just maybe I will get out of my comfy pjs before noon.  No promises, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment