Thursday, January 19, 2012

First Day

Today was my first day as a docent at our local museum.  I put on my schoolteacher clothes and my best first-day-of-school smile and arrived a few minutes early just to show my eagerness to perform.  I had diligently studied my tour guide notes prior to arriving and was just bursting with scintillating tidbits of arcana which I would graciously disperse to the uneducated masses.  I sat patiently at the docent desk and reviewed my guide notes, not willing to be found wanting in my knowledge of the history of Wilkes.  I sat and sat and sat when suddenly the phone rang!!!!!!!!  Yeah, but wait! Could I remember how to transfer the call?  So many buttons on this phone, so little training!  Where were my inservice notes?????  Oh the pressure!!!!!  "Hello, Wilkes Heritage Museum, may I help you?"  My finger thoughtfully traveled over the many buttons.  My eye wandered to the list of transfer numbers(3).  Finally a light bulb flashed in my muddled mind and wait, yes, that was it.  Press transfer and the proper number!!  Yes!!!!!  I hadn't cut anyone off!!!!  The battle of the phone had been waged and won by the first time docent!  The afternoon waned and I sat.  No one came to see the museum.  The directors were very kind and said some days are just like that.  One week from today I will again don a schoolteacher outfit and put on a schoolteacher smile to go forth to educate the wandering masses and do battle with the many-buttoned phone.  The daring docent back into the breach.

No comments:

Post a Comment