Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Well ...

I have been retired for about 2 weeks now.  One of the questions I am often asked is, "What are you going to do?"  This question has haunted me for sometime.  What am I going to do now that I have time on my hands?  So, here is a rundown of some activities that have served to pass my time.  They are not in any particular order.
Wake up, not at 5:00 a.m.
Water aerobics at Y
Cook
Read
Nap - this is probably my favorite so far!
Play with dogs
Brush dogs
Practice dulcimer and flute
Make cards
Scrap booking
Watch old movies
Volunteer at local museum
Being quiet - this is the hardest of all.  I am used to moving at warp speed and still get a feeling the pit of my tummy that tells me I need to grade papers, pack lunch, make parent phone calls, iron something to wear, make lesson plans and on and on.  This feeling usually happens Sunday night.

Retirement is a good thing, I think.  Of course, if I have to stand in the local breadline I may have a different view.  Hopefully that won't happen.  My friend, Ann, says she likes the flexibility retirement offers.  I agree.  My time is so flexible that I have postponed cleaning out a very cluttered bedroom for 2 weeks!! 

Did you know that a synonym for retirement is fall back?  I like that.  Next time someone asks about my career, I shall simply reply that I have fallen back!  Sounds very mysterious, doesn't it!

No comments:

Post a Comment