Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Living in the South

I am not a southerner by birth.  I was born north of the Mason-Dixon line and even though I have lived in the south for 25 years I am still not Southern.  That being said, there is much about Southern living that I love.  Last Friday was a case in point.  My community is small and rural.  People here care for one another for the most part.  When a family is in trouble, either health or disaster such as fire, people pitch in and help.  Thus Jack and I found ourselves at a small local church at a spaghetti dinner.  The proceeds of the dinner were to go to a person who has cancer.  I think the cancer patient is a member of this church or perhaps his family is.   Jack's singing group was also going to perform after the dinner.  We don't know the cancer patient and in fact didn't know very many people in the crowd.  When we talked to others in attendance, they didn't know the patient either.  Nevertheless, the response was overwhelming.  The fellowship hall was packed as was the sanctuary.  Later we heard that over $4,000.00 had been collected.  $4,000.00 from a community that has an unemployment rate of over 9%.  $4,000.00 from a community of farmers and blue collar workers and retirees. 

Perhaps this kind of outpooring of kindness happens in large cities, but considering the anonymity of cities I doubt it.  There is much I rail against here in the south, but I don't think anywhere can be beat for kindness to others.  I have learned to keep the ingredients for casseroles and pound cakes on hand just in case there is a need.  I love being included in the giving of food or cards or phone calls to lift some one's spirit.  While I will never be considered  Southern, I am happy that I have learned the art of southern kindness.

1 comment:

  1. Kathryn, Let me tell you a secret this Southern born & bred girl learned early on in life. I worked the summer after I graduated from high school at a bed and breakfast Inn in Cape Cod, Mass. Everyone asked why I wanted to go live with the cold hearted Yankees. I just wanted to be on my own, & I imagined it was a romantic place, so I got a job with room & board. The woman I lived with who ran the little Inn was the kindest & most generous soul I have ever known. Contrary to popular belief, Kindness and hospitality exist all over the world and in all kinds of people such as yourself! Southerners don't have a monopoly on hospitality, it's just like the old saying "If you got it, flaunt it!" We're good at flaunting our hospitality!

    ReplyDelete