Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Good Question

This week one of the 35 asked why I became a teacher.  I started to answer with a wise crack like, "So I could terrorise kids like you."  But I didn't say it.  My reply was because my mother was a teacher and I had several great mentors along the way. This question has been with me all week.  Do I remember why I wanted to teach?  What was I thinking about in the late 60s and early 70s?  Do I still feel the same as then?  Have I become jaded?  Some answers are yes, I do feel I can make a difference in students' lives which is the same as I felt in college.  I now know it is much more difficult than I first believed and the reality is that I will probably never know how much of an impact I have made.  When one spends 180 days out of a year with a group of students, there has to be an impact of some sort.  I do wonder if my teaching has had a positive or negative effect.  I think about a girl I taught probably 30 years ago.  She was in second grade and would not stay in her seat nor would she listen, follow rules, or take turns.  Now I realize she probably was ADHD, but at the time no one had heard of that diagnosis.  So in all my wisdom, I put tape on the floor around her desk and told her not to leave the taped area.  It helped for a while, but was not long lasting.  That was a mean thing to do to a child who could not help herself.  I hope she was able to forgive me.

And yes, I have become jaded especially this year.  I have a hard time finding anything positive to say at school and begin to have stomach issues on Sunday night.  I am trying to be more positive because I have a student intern right now and I don't want to negatively influence her.  She is bright and enthusiastic and I don't want to do anything to dampen her spirit.  So, I have much work to do!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last week's score ...Schoolmarm 4.5 Students .5 Plus another students has moved into our school and onto our team.  The more, the merrier, right?  I would agree but he came to class with red marker all over his face.  Friday was "Wear Red Day", but I am pretty sure the intent was a garment of red. It is getting better.  This week we only have 4 days!!!!!!  Do you think that is a handicap for students or the Schoolmarm????????????????

No comments:

Post a Comment