Sunday, October 17, 2010

Yikes! It's Sunday night!!!!!!!!

Last week the score between Teacher and The 35 was again 2 to 2 with 1 day as a draw.  Thursday was the absolute worst day of the week.  From the time my teaching partners and I walked into the door at 7:20 we were assaulted with drama.  This time it was boy drama.  One young man was having an emotional meltdown because of a misunderstanding between a teacher and the boy.  No, it was not me, this time!!  The other drama revolved around a student who is transferring.  By 8:00 one of my partners was in tears and I was just mad.  Then, we were operating on a different schedule because another grade was going on a field trip and needed to eat lunch early.  Just let me tell you that 12 - 13 year olds do not adjust to change well.  I would go so far as to say they are less flexible than a newborn who needs to be fed every 4 hours.  By 1:30, when the darlings went to special classes, I was having a meltdown, too.  At 4:02 I left school, went home and went to bed.  Sometimes one's home is the only safe haven.  Then in Sunday school this morning I was admitting that my feelings toward some students could be compared to that of having a root canal without anesthetic when a friend said not to be too hard on myself.  I should take heart in remembering that it is not really the students themselves, rather it is their behavior that is so abhorrent.  That really helped, a sincere thanks to my friend.

We have 3 days this week, thanks to the calendar fairies.  3days... One can do anything for 3 days, right???? Of course right.  I hope right.  3 days... hmmmmm... 

Best student/teacher conversation of the week-
The day the Chilean miners were being extracted  we watched some of the rescue on TV.  The next day I had this conversation.
Student:  I know why those people on TV were speaking a different language.
Teacher:  Oh?
Student:  Yeah, they were from Chile.
The positive of this conversation is that the light did come on for the student.  I do wonder how far that particular bit of electricity had to travel to get to this particular light bulb.  Is there a power grid on Pluto????

No comments:

Post a Comment