Friday, February 3, 2012

A Conversation

My daughter tells me that the key to exercising is to listen to one's body and not one's mind.  So today in water aerobics I tried that strategy.  It went something like this...

Mind:  You don't really want to get out of this warm, soft bed to get into a moderately cold pool, do you???
Body:  You will feel so much better if you get up and go!!!!
Me:  OK!!!! I am going to water aerobics and I don't want to hear anymore whining.
Body:  Nanny nanny boo boo to you Mind.  You think you are so powerful!

45 Minutes later in a moderately cold pool.

Mind:  I cannot believe you are doing this!  What is wrong with you????  This water is cold and you can't even hear the instructor!!  Good grief!!!
Body:  Don't listen to the Mind, listen to me!  I am having a wonderful time!!!  This is great!!  As long as you are moving you will be warm.  The instructor demonstrates everything so you don't really need to hear her anyway! 

30 minutes into the class

Body:  Uh, Kath, I don't know if you have noticed, but the lungs are straining to get enough air and the arm muscles are screaming about fatigue.  We all think you need to slow down.
Mind:  I told you so.  I told you so. I told you so. 
Me:  Both of you be quiet!!!  Stop whining!!!  I will take us to the donut shop after class if everyone just works together to get through this.
Mind and Body:  Aw, that is so sweet! (Pun intended) 

So, my sweet daughter was right.  It is important to listen to one's body while exercising.  Now, I wonder if I should tell my therapist about all the voices I have been hearing!

No comments:

Post a Comment