Thursday, February 2, 2012

Water Aerobics

That's right, I said "Water aerobics."   My philosophy of exercise is that it is to be avoided at all costs, but my doctor does not agree.  One reason I don't like to exercise is because I don't like to sweat; hence water aerobics.  Even if I get hot, I am in water and can instantly cool off. 

Last week the teacher handed out paddles for us to use.  They were shaped like a weight that had been smashed flat.  The round pieces at either end of the handle had a fan-like contraption that could be opened or closed depending on how much resistance is desired.  Before I go on, you must understand that I have spent the last 25 years of my life with middle schoolers.  Because of that, middle school behavior sometimes, dare I say rarely?, slips into my psyche.  The very moment I was handed the paddle this thought enter my water-logged brain.  "What would happen if I slapped this into the water and made a splash????"  I looked at the elderly woman who was in front of me and for one horrible second I could see my hand move downward causing a hair soaking spray.  It was like a slow motion  scene in a movie.  All the hairspray in the world could not have saved this woman's coif.  Fortunately for me the thought quickly vanished and Mrs. Helmet-head remained oblivious.  I, however, was left feeling a bit unfulfilled.

On another note.  Monday, Jan. 30, there was an entire flock of robins in our yard.  Considering the mild winter we have had so far, I will be curious to see if we really have cold and snow this year.

Finally, I had to go to my former school this week.  I went to the workroom to deliver the letters I had written, then turned and found myself looking at my old mailbox.  My name wasn't there.  Another dose of reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment